Usually Pigeon rice is cooked with white rice, but in this case brown rice is used. It is so much more healthier compared to white rice. It got a lot more fibers and keeps you full longer. This pigeon pea rice with coconut milk is one of my favorite rice dishes. It is very simple and looks totally velvety. It goes with literally everything and in particular with spicy and/or curried dishes. The coconut milk breaks down the heat in very spicy dishes so it’s a perfect match to spicy Caribbean or Thai dishes. View the recipe for the wilted spinach and fried plantain by following the link.
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 2 cups brown rice, washed
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 small can pigeon peas
- 2 qt Vegetable broth
- Saute onions in butter in a large stainless steel pot over low to medium heat until translucent.
- Add brown rice and stir occasional and add vegetable broth so that you have about ¾ inch above the rice.
- Cook for 15 min over high heat, than and add coconut milk, carrots, green & pigeon peas.
- Continue to cook for 30 more minutes or until rice is beginning to get soft and liquid has all been absorbed.
Do you like pigeon pea rice and what would you serve it with? Leave a comment.