Soon it’s time to celebrate Father’s Day. This is the second recipe of a series of three in honor of Father’s Day and one of my favorites. I love seafood and I like it even better when it’s grilled. The kabobs are marinated in herb garlic oil, which gives them an incredible flavor. Your taste buds are being heavenly rewarded when the seafood kabobs are married with a chipotle tomato mayonnaise. Combine that with a Riesling and it will truly make your day. I know Father’s Day is mainly about grilling steaks and ribs, however I find this dish a welcome change.
Here is what we need, a basket full of delicious goodies prepared with lot’s of love will surely please your guests.
Before I start assembling the kabobs I lay out the ingredients, this way I know exactly what goes on first.
I try to marinate the kabobs for at least 2 hours or even better over night. I use fresh rosemary sprigs as a skewer, but you can use regular wooden skewers, too.
This very simple marinate gives any food a balanced flavor. The longer the food is marinated the better the flavor. Very often I marinade a whole batch of meats or seafood and freeze it. Then, when ever I need it I just defrost it and voilà you have great tasting meal.
- – Herb Garlic Marinade –
- 4 gloves of garlic, peeled
- 2 tsp chopped rosemary
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tsp thyme
- ¼ chopped onion
- juice from ½ lime
- ½ cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- – Kabobs –
- 8 large shrimp peeled & divined
- 8 large scallops
- 8 slices of bacon
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms
- 6 oz red perl onions, peeled
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in 1 inch dices
- – Grilled vegetable –
- 2 zucchini, sliced length wise
- 2 yellow squash, sliced length wise
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- For the marinade combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend thoroughly until creamy. Set a side.
- Wrap scallops with bacon. If the bacon is to wide simply cut it length wise in half.
- Prepare rosemary skewers by striping of the leaves of the sprig, but leaving about 2 inches on the tip.
- Assemble seafood kabobs the way it’s shown on the picture.
- Smother herb garlic marinade over the entire seafood kabob on both sides. Rest kabobs on a plate covered with plastic wrap and keep cool.
- Marinate the zucchini and yellow squash including the left over vegetables such as the mushrooms & onions with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Grill vegetables for about 3 minutes on each side over medium to high heat.
- Grill seafood kabobs on high heat for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Allow kabobs to rest in a warm spot for a few minutes than serve immediately with the grilled vegetables. Serve with Chipotle tomato mayonnaise.